Quadrotor Update Part 2

The new propellers came today. I ordered a pair of sets of 10x4.5 propellers from Amazon and promptly failed to get them to work with the motors. Turns out they're hard to mount! I ended up making a trip to the hardware store to pick up some O-rings, which are much more stable than the little rubber bands the motors came with. Here's what it looks like:

And here's the mess of wires close up:

Awesome, right? Right! I hooked up the battery, turned on the transmitter, and gave it a shot.


It promptly flipped over.

After a few more or less comical runs of this I read up a little bit, and it turns out sometimes this happens because they battery is low. Put it on the charger for awhile and then tried again with no luck. So then I put the small props back on and held the thing in my hand while reving it up, and it turns out one of the motors is way more powerful than the others. I'm not sure why, but I think maybe one of the speed controllers isn't configured right. Now to figure out how to calibrate them without taking everything apart.

In any case, I'm pretty happy about having it together and making some progress. Maybe by this time next week I'll actually have a flying machine!

9 Sep 2011   Share:           

Posted in: Hardware  

Tagged: Hardware

Related Posts