Software Developer, 2014 - Current
egghead.io, fully remote
- Lead a small team of junior developers on building and maintaining the core Ruby on Rails backend application
- Built and maintain the Stripe payments integration that processes millions of dollars a year for egghead
- Built a revenue sharing system that has paid out millions of dollars to open source developers
- Integrated SAML for our enterprise customers
Software Consultant, 2014 - Current
Okapi, fully remote
- Part-time CTO for a small software development shop specializing in government training software
- Consulted on a Docker deployment project
- Assisted getting a PHP application up and running on three different PaaS hosts
Software Developer, 2012 - 2015
Kongregate, Portland OR
- Maintained one of the largest and oldest Ruby on Rails applications in existence.
- Implemented a lapsed-gamer mailer with customized messages for every user which increased retention by ~5%.
- Debugged and fixed some thorny EC2 / SSH bugs
- Daily worked on tasks using Pivotal Tracker, GitHub, and Jenkins.
Platform Developer, 2011 - 2012
Emma, Portland OR
- Ported the audience management system of Emma, including mailing list management, audience searches, administration, and sending mail into a REST service in Python, PostgreSQL and Redis.
- Built a search engine that consumes a JSON search description, builds an equivalent SQL query, and executes the query on a sharded PostgreSQL database system. This is used for filtering all requests that come into the audience REST service.
- Worked with and extended a large Django application that forms the front-end of Emma's email marketing service.
Software Developer, 2007 - 2011
Rentrak, Portland OR
- Designed, developed, and deployed two different demographics systems for linear television that set the direction of all future demographics systems at Rentrak. These systems overlay postal- and household-level segmentation on top of hundreds of billions of television view transactions.
- Developed a SQL-like language that compiles to C++ using Perl and Parse::RecDescent to enable internal users to query the view repository.
- Designed a new product from scratch with another developer focusing on the backend data processing. Built a DSL-like system within Perl for succinct summary table definition which allows developers to create new summary tables quickly and with very low maintenance overhead.
- Wrote one-time and repeatable data extraction and analysis programs for the CIO and the research department to better understand hundreds of billions of television view transactions.
- Mastering Modern Payments, the first book about integrating Stripe payments with Rails.
- Handle Your Business, a book about what the nuts and bolts backend of a single person consultancy can look like.
- Docverter, an open source document conversion web service.
- petekeen.net, my personal programming and tech related blog.
- VMSave, a small Rails app for saving voicemail greetings as MP3s. Uses Twilio for telephony services.
- Payola, a Rails engine for Stripe. Retired.
- Twitter Fiction Reader, a curated archive of fictional twitter accounts.
Bachelor of Science in Management Computer Systems
Computer Science Minor
University of Wisconsin - Whitewater
Graduated December 2006
- Agile / Test-driven Development, Pair Programming, RSpec
- Git, SVN
- Linux, Mac OS X
- PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis